Tips that can help you become a great manager
Management is a fast-paced career that involves many different tasks. To be the best manager possible, there are a few things you can do to empower your team and meet specific challenges head on.
To minimize challenges that come with staff management there are few things you might want to try:
- Encourage self-management. Self-management by team members can take quite a bit of stress off of a retail manager?s shoulders. To make this happen, you?ll want to ensure that you?ve clearly communicated your expectation and goals for your team members.
- Make your team members feel valued. It?s important to treat your subordinates in a way that helps them to trust you and know they can come to you with ideas or to share information.
- Cross-train your employees. If more than one individual knows how to do specific jobs, you won?t be pulling your hair out when an employee in a key role calls in sick. You?ll be confident in shifting your employees to handle different tasks in a pinch.
To manage the demands on an individual?s time, there are also a few things that can make the job a little simpler.
- Take steps to improve your own time management. Start each week, or even each day by creating a list of tasks you want to accomplish. Go through that list and see what you can assign to someone else. Then prioritize your list and dump tasks that aren?t absolutely necessary.
- Delegate tasks whenever possible. Just because you?re the manager doesn?t mean you have to handle every task in your establishment- you have assistant managers and quite possibly a hierarchy of other employees. They can take on some of your work.
- Create a schedule and stick to it. Plan time for marketing tasks, for training and for checking in with your employees. Schedule each of your necessary tasks and review your schedule at least once a week and revamp when necessary.