The death of a Michigan toddler who reportedly strangled in the cord of a window blind prompted the recall of more than 450,000 such blinds this week. Four-outlet power strips that pose a risk of electrical shock also were recalled.
A rundown of the recalled products and the problems entailed:
DETAILS: Horizontal and vertical blinds manufactured in the United States by Blinds Xpress of Livonia, Mich. The blinds were sold from January 1995 through December 2011 at stores in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana.
WHY: The custom vertical blinds have an adjustment cord that forms a loop that is not attached to the wall or floor. In some instances, this loop has a weighted device at the bottom. The custom horizontal blinds do not have inner cord stop devices to prevent the accessible inner cords from being pulled out. A child can become entangled in a cord loop and strangle.
INCIDENTS: In 2009, a 2-year-old girl from Commerce Township, Mich., died of reported strangulation in the loop of a vertical blind cord.
HOW MANY: About 139,000 custom-made vertical blinds and 315,000 horizontal blinds.
FOR MORE: Call the Window Covering Safety Council at 800-506-4636 to receive a free repair kit or visit http://windowcoverings.org .
DETAILS: Legrand Under Cabinet Power and Lighting four-outlet power strips manufactured in China and imported by Legrand Wiremold of West Hartford, Conn.; sold at Ace Hardware, Do it Best, Home Depot USA, Sutherland, True Value Hardware and online at Amazon.com between February 2011 and August 2012.
WHY: The electrical wires are reversed on the receptacles on the power strips, posing a risk of electrical shock.
INCIDENTS: One incident reported; no injuries.
HOW MANY: About 14,200.
FOR MORE: Call Legrand Wiremold at 800-617-1768 or visit http://www.legrand.us .