Just in time for Mother?s Day, Shon Gables Productions L.L.C. and The Mocha Manual Co. Inc. released The Mocha Manual to a Fabulous Pregnancy DVD, sold exclusively at Wal-Mart stores and on www.walmart.com. This is a hip guide that turns the television into the girlfriend every pregnant Black and Latina woman needs during maternity and beyond.
The DVD is based on the book The Mocha Manual to a Fabulous Pregnancy (Amistad/HarperCollins, 2005) by Kimberly Seals Allers, and features segments on fitness, medical matters, healthy eating, style, mental and spiritual wellness, family finances and care for newborns. It is hosted by nationally syndicated television host Shon Gables, a 2006 Network Journal ?40 Under-40 Achievers? honoree.
?The DVD is down-to-earth, funny and chock full of information that speaks directly to women of color,? says Gables, who has appeared in the Spike Lee film Inside Man and executive-produced last year?s feature film release Lord Help Us.
It features the wisdom of a team of experts and celebrity moms, including filmmaker Spike Lee?s wife, Tonya Lewis Lee, and Grammy-winning gospel artist DeLeon Sheffield.
?I?m proud to team up with Shon Gables to produce this groundbreaking DVD to help reverse the tide of poor statistical outcomes for births to Black and Latina women of all socioeconomic levels,? says Allers, a former senior editor at Essence magazine and founder of The Mocha Manual Co., (www.mochamanual.com), an online retailer of maternity tees, infant wear, gift baskets, baby-shower invitations and party goods made exclusively for African-American and Latina mothers and mothers-to-be. African-American women, for example, are four times more likely to have a low birth-weight baby, twice as likely to have premature babies and four times more likely to die in childbirth.
The DVD retails for $6.96 and is prepackaged with a Mother?s Day coupon for a free, 100-percent-cotton infant Onesie, plus a discount at www.mochamanual.com.
Winning Mom?s Heart
Here are ?The Top 10 Gifts for Mom That Won?t Cost You a Dime? from the producers of The Mocha Manual to a Fabulous Pregnancy DVD!
10. Clean the kitchen and bathroom without being asked. Smells like roses, but cheaper!
9. Ask Mom for a list and run all her errands. Nothing helps tired feet more than getting off them!
8. Take Mom to church and really listen to the sermon and pray. For her, it?s an answered prayer!
7. Get up early and serve Mom breakfast in bed. She?ll appreciate having the tables turned!
6. Take the day off and answer Mom?s phone. If a bill collector calls, say ?It?s Mother?s Day. Give her a break!?
5. Take a 16-year-old?s approach and tell Mom she?s one of the most beautiful women you?ve ever met. Flattery always wins!
4. Write Mom a letter and tell her how much she means to you. (Don?t mention the yelling!)
3. Ask Mom for some money, then hand it back to her with the words, ?Happy Mother?s Day!? It costs you nothing and for once she gets to keep her money.
2. Run Mom a bath, light some candles and shut the door. Bathroom-alone time is priceless!
1. Take Mom to see an old friend or relative she hasn?t seen in years. Nothing revives youth like a good ol? hug!