?Don’t have your W-2 yet? Here’s What To Do

Tax envelopeThe tax filing deadline will be here before you know it. Don’t forget it’s April 18th this year.

To ensure you’re not scrambling at the last minute, be sure your W-2 wage and tax statement is in hand. Your employer should have mailed it out by Jan. 31. But if you haven’t yet received it, here are four steps the Internal Revenue Service suggests taking:

1. Contact Your Employer. First, make sure the form isn’t sitting in that pile of unopened mail on your coffee table. After that, ask your employer when the form was mailed. If it was already sent and you suspect it got lost, check that your employer has the right address on file and request that the form be resent.

2. Contact the IRS. Another option is to request the form through the IRS by calling 800-829-1040. You’ll need to provide your name, address, Social Security number, phone number and the following:

?Employer’s name, address and phone number

?Dates of employment

?An estimate of your wages in 2010 and the federal income tax withheld

3. Make the Deadline. You still need to file your return by the deadline even if you don’t receive your W-2. You can file using the Form 4852 and estimate your income and withholding taxes as accurately as possible. Note that there may be a delay in any refund you’re due while the information is verified.

4. Correct Any Errors. There’s a chance that you’ll receive your W-2 form after filing using the Form 4852. If it turns out the information you filed was inaccurate, you’ll need to file a Form 1040X to amend the filing.

Form 4852, Form 1040X, and instructions are available at www.irs.gov or by calling 800-TAX-FORM.

Source: AP